Laptop and pen


Law Office of Rodney Gould June 11, 2020

Do you want to begin the estate planning process in California, but don’t know where to start? Don’t worry! At the Law Office of Rodney Gould, we know that the estate planning process can be complicated. But as an experienced California estate lawyer, Rodney Gould, is always happy to answer any questions you have about the process. Common estate planning questions include:

  • Do I need to establish a trust for my minor children?

  • Who should I name as executor of my estate?

  • What should I put in my will?

  • Should I name a guardian for my minor children?

  • Do I need a power of attorney?

Below are answers to these questions to help you begin the estate planning process.

Do I Need To Establish A Trust For My Minor Children?

A common concern of those embarking upon the estate planning process is how to care for their minor children after death. A trust is one such method. Trusts are an excellent way of ensuring that your minor children will be properly cared for after your passing.

Who Will Be The Executor Of My Estate?

An executor is an individual who makes sure that your will’s terms are properly executed. Therefore, it’s important to pick an individual whom you trust to carry out this duty. You should also consider naming an alternate executor as a backup.

What Should I Put In My Will?

The most well-known estate planning document is the will. At a minimum, a will should include the names of your beneficiaries and the specific property you wish to distribute. However, there are certain types of property and assets that should pass to beneficiaries outside of your will, those assets, including certain types of retirement accounts, jointly held assets, and life insurance policies, need to be reviewed as a distinct subset of your estate plan.

Who Will Act As My Minor Children’s Guardian?

A guardian is a person who cares for your minor children after your passing. If you have minor children, you should strongly consider naming a guardian in your will. If you fail to name a guardian in your will, the court will do so for you.

Do I Need A Power Of Attorney?

It’s usually advisable to draft a durable power of attorney and advanced healthcare directive (sometimes called a medical directive, medical power of attorney or living will) during the estate planning process. These documents permit a designated person to handle financial affairs and health care decisions on your behalf if you become incapacitated.

California Estate Planning Attorneys

If you’re looking for personalized service by an experienced estate planning attorney, then Rodney Gould is the lawyer for you. When you come to the Law Office of Rodney Gould, you can rest assured that you’ll receive responsive, individualized counsel. By choosing the Law Office of Rodney Gould for your estate planning needs, not only will you stabilize your future, but you can rest assured that we’ll make the estate planning experience as easy and pleasant as possible. You can connect with us by calling us or by filling out one of the contact forms on our website.